March 3, 2012

Goodbye Lie Diaries- Miss Ella

Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida
1880s

Miss Ella writes:  The mighty wind is  bending the trees and stripping the petals from the last of my camellias today. Very sad to see them go but they are being replaced by budding azaleas. I do hope the wind lies down or they, too, will be nothing more than sticks with leaves.




***

Jane Marie writes:  It has been a windy day in our time, too, Miss Ella.  It's not nearly as strong as your bluster because I still have a camellia blossom or two left.   Oh, something new to me.  You know how the wild palmettos grow so thick and close to the ground here? My friend trimmed them up and now look at them. Very pretty and no hiding place for critters!  See photos below.

camellia

trimmed wild palmettos

No comments:

Post a Comment