October 15, 2012

Goodbye Lie Diaries - A New One to Peeper

2012
Fernandina Beach, Florida

Jane Marie writes:  I was asked, "What can I do to keep my new kitty from running away from my house?"

Cricket, from Virginia, wrote to me with an old wives' tale that just might work. Put a little bacon grease on the bottom of the kitty's feet. Let the cat out the door and walk down the sidewalk to clean his paws. After you've bandaged where he's clawed you, he'll be ready to follow the scent of the bacon and return home!

***
1880s
Fernandina, Florida    

*Grandmother Pepper writes: Woo-howdie!  That's a new one on me.  Don't think I'll be atryin' that trick any time soon though.  I got me enuf cats. Fact is, I got too many cats.  Hmm. Let me give that some more thinkin'. Yup.  I'll fry me up some bacon tomorra, dip a couple a cats in it and set 'um on Aunt Noreen's doorstep.  I'll be alistenin' for her hollerin' across the yard.  Won't take long! 

*Grandmother Peeper and Aunt Noreen are featured players in my Amelia Island's Goodbye Lie Trilogy. As you might guess, they don't get along- at all!