February 11, 2013

Amelia Island Museum Gift Shop

I am pleased to tell you that the Amelia Island Museum of History here in Fernandina Beach, Florida is now carrying my novel, The Goodbye Lie, in their gift shop.  This is particularly special to me because 25 years ago, I took docent training at that museum. And from that training plus lots of research in their archives, I culled interesting historic facts about the area that would later, in part, be the basis on which I would begin my Amelia Island Trilogy.

Housed in the old Nassau County jail built in 1878, we have seen our oral history museum grow so much since Bruce, my husband, was one of the first men to swing a sledge hammer to knock out the bars of the cells. Jack Patrick Dunnigan, in my upcoming Mark of a Man, is one of the characters who spends time in his hometown jail.

We have been involved with this fascinating place for a long time. Years ago we purchased a piano key as part of a community effort to restore a square grand piano. Later, I modeled an antique dress in a fashion show fund raiser. Our handbell choir used to practice in one of the ground floor rooms.  I learned French heirloom hand sewing and smocking at the museum. I quilted a couple of squares for the two quilts we made.  It was my idea to make two, one to raffle off and the other identical quilt of cross stitched local buildings to keep and hang in the museum.  It was so much work but so worth it.  Today, Bruce gives a talk to students called Historic Preservation as a Contact Sport.

As you can tell, we love our little museum, which is not so little any longer.  If you are in the area, make the effort to visit.  You'll learn, you'll enjoy and who knows what treasures you will find in the gift shop of the Amelia Island Museum of history.

Amelia Island Museum of History
233 South 3rd Street
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
904 261-7378

 
This photo is copied from the Amelia Island Museum of History website at
www.ameliamuseum.org