September 22, 2013

Chuck Hall's One Man Show

Chuck and "the band"
Fall into more Fernandina fancy with my newly designed Blog, Blog, Blog in autumn colors!
 
And how better to start this season than with local celebrity and funny man, Chuck  Hall. Last night we attended Chuck's Old Time Family Hour held at our Amelia Community Theatre with donations going toward their beautiful new building. Well, I'll tell you a little secret. Mr. Chuck is way more talented than I thought. Yes, he's a wood carver and I knew he picked at the banjo but heck, folks, he is quite the lively all-around entertainer! The audience clapped and sang along, as Chuck strummed that banjo, belting out a dozen tunes from I've Been Workin' on the Railroad to You are My Sunshine to O Brother, Where Art Thou? - I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow. Accompanied by an electronic band, produced with the push of a button on a small contraption attached to the mike stand, Family Hour lasted a good ninety minutes and there was never a lull.

One of my favorite jokes he told was about the man who went to a revival meeting and the preacher asked him what his trouble was. The man said it was his hearing. Well, the preacher prayed over him mightily and then asked, "So how's your hearing now?"  The man answered, "I don't know. My hearing isn't until next Wednesday."  With material like that, you know we had a good time!

  Chuck "joking" around!
 
Thanks, Chuck.  American can use more good, clean, wholesome family entertainment like your show.  Keep it coming!
 
Chuck Hall and Bruce Malcolm AFTER the show. (The hour was up,
 so there was no time for Bruce and HIS railroad song.
That's why they call it a one man show, Brucey.)