June 25, 2014

Goodbye Lie Diaries: Small Town USA

Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, Florida
2014
 
Jane Marie writes:
 
   We love living on a small island in a small town.  The island part is wonderful for obvious reasons, like we’re located at the edge of the world on the Atlantic Ocean, for goodness sake!  The small town part is inviting and offers charm, friendliness, trust, easy access to every basic item we need, no traffic jams and it’s just plain homey. 
   One mini-event I witnessed is the perfect example of friendliness and trust.  I was at a local hardware store.  As I waited in line beside another customer, the customer said, “Put it on my bill.”
   The clerk replied, “Sure thing.”
   It was then I unintentionally noticed the clerk had made out the invoice to Henry, no last name, just Henry.  Where else but small town American?  Hopefully, lots of places around the world.  Hopefully …
 
   By the way, have you ever heard this?  The nice part about living in a small town is when you don’t know what you’re doing, someone else always does. -Anonymous
 
***
 
Aunt Noreen
Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida
1880s
 
Aunt Noreen writes:
 
   I am so glad to hear that our little Fernandina continues to be a fine place to live in your time, Miss Jane. I am proud to call myself  a Fernandiner.  However, when I think back to  Friday last and Mrs. Clapsaddle telling me at the park how Mrs. Ickles was talking about the widow Mrs. Misseldine who was seen at the grocery purchasing, not one, not two, but three watermelons, why I do not want to think what manner of men she may be entertaining.  Mrs. Fishpatcher said she was certain Mrs. Misseldine was donating them to the school, but I have my doubts.  Someone should find out if this is the case or not. If this activity is less than seemly, I will take it upon myself to lead a movement to shun, spurn and exclude Mrs. Misseldine from polite society.  It is women like myself who must keep our island a haven of decency for future generations.
 
 
Aunt Noreen is a featured player in Amelia Island's Goodbye Lie Trilogy, historical romance series set on Amelia Island, Florida in Victorian 1880s.