July 8, 2014

Apple Cherry Salad


While attending a potluck lunch in Hoboken, Georgia during a Sacred Harp Sing, I tasted a recipe with apples and nuts and a mystery flavor.  I couldn't put my finger on what the particular flavor was that stood out, but my husband, Bruce, could.  It was cherries!  Not knowing who prepared the unusual dish,  I was unable to ask for the recipe. I came up with my version and here it is.  By the way,  I took my dish to a church potluck and got raves over it.  Enjoy!  -jmm
 
Apple Cherry Salad
 
You'll need:
1 cup no fat, plain yogurt
1/8 to 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice to taste after you add the sweetener
2 packets of natural sweetener like Truvia
1 large apple, sliced into bite-sized pieces
8 or so maraschino cherries, sliced in half
1/3 cup pecan pieces
 
Mix yogurt, cherry juice and sweetener.  Add apples, cherries and nuts.  Serve at once or keep refrigerated for up to two days.  Makes 2 large servings.