September 19, 2014

Peeper's Pickles- Goodbye Lie Diaries

from Miss Ella's
 Fernandina Flavors Cooking Collection
 
Matriarch Ella Dunnigan concocts, creates, gathers and is responsible for foods served on the fictional Dunnigan family Aqua Verdi Passenger Line ships in the 1880s.  A little bit of make believe  plus a whole lot of real good taste result in these delightful dishes still served in modern times.  (For your convenience, recipes are generally written in today's amounts and measurements.)

Peeper

Fernandina on Amelia Island
1880s

Peeper writes:

Howdy. I'm Grandmother Peeper, star of Jane Marie Malcolm's storybooks called The Goodbye Lie. My fave-rite friends call me Peeper. I do most a the cookin' round Dunnigan Manor.  I have ta make extree bee-cause old Aunt Noreen comes awalkin' cross the field ta eat my food since she can't stand swallowin' her own. 

I like ta eat from my garden and make these here pickles.  I'm glad ta be asharin' them through Jane Marie's magic e-lectronics.  I don't know how 'zactly it works, but I don't need ta know everythin'.

 Peeper's Zucchini Pickles
 
1 pound zucchini, washed with the ends cut off.  Slice 'em pretty thick, about 1/4 inch
3 cups a vinegar, white or cider
1 cup white sugar
lemon - squeeze out a tablespoonful
salt ta taste
 
Cook in a pan on the stove, givin' it a stir so it don't burn none.  It's done when the sugar is all dissolved.  Put the zucchini slices in a clean jars and pour the sugar juice overtop.
 Keep on ice fer 'bout a month.
 
You can likewise use yellow squash or cucumber slices, if you're awantin' ta
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment