October 26, 2014

Frank Sinatra's Undertow

UNDERTOW - I am often asked how I come up with the name of my novels.  Amelia Island's Velvet Undertow easily found me.  I wanted a word that meant overwhelming, all consuming, no escaping.  The result was undertow.  While that might have been sufficient, I thought it needed a softening, a sort of beckoning, an allure to it. Velvet was the description of my undertow. One final touch was needed for location, Amelia Island, and there you have it.  Velvet Undertow is the perfect title for this historic romance/suspense book because there are so many types of undertows throughout the pages ...

Here is another use of  undertow.
"All Or Nothing At All"
sung by Frank Sinatra, 1943
with the Harry James Orchestra
music by Arthur Altman

lyrics by Jack Lawrence

This wonderful song is the first professional recording by Frank Sinatra and it could be, in part, one of the theme songs to my book. Take a listen here:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7klm1GS3v8 -
 
Lyrics below:
All or nothing at all,
Half a love never appealed to me.
If your heart never could yield to me,
Then I'd rather, rather have nothin' at all.
All or nothing at all,
If it's love, there is no in-between.
Why begin then cry for something that might have been?
No, I'd rather have nothin' at all.

Oh, please don't bring your lips so close to my cheek.
Don't smile or I'll be lost beyond recall.
The kiss in your eyes, the touch of your hand makes me weak,
And my heart may grow dizzy and fall.

And if I fell under the spell of your call,
I would be caught in the undertow.
And so you see, I've got to say no, no.
All or nothin' at all.

[instrumental]

All or nothin' at all!