June 4, 2015

Future Plans - Author's Digest Interview Concludes

The following questions and my answers were taken from Author's Digest posted by M. Burns on March 29, 2015. - jmm

Jane Marie, are you working on your next book?

I have several completed manuscripts that are in need of editing. One is set in Hong Kong, one is about our Martha Bear (“spokesbear” for our blog), and one is about the ravings of a nine-year-old girl, complete with my cartoon sketches. The next story, though, will the continuation of Amelia Island’s Goodbye Lie Trilogy Plus One. It’s called Amelia Island’s Sand and Sin. It’s about the Dunnigan family, their Aqua Verde Passenger Line, and the same Dunnigan Manor on Amelia Island, but is set in modern times!

Do you have any events or promotions planned for your books?

A driving tour around our historic Amelia Island of places/scenes from The Goodbye Lie is in the works. I’m also gathering ideas for a companion piece to go along with the series. I continue to give talks to different groups who enjoy reading about the Dunnigan family. I call the talks “Random Ricochets Off the Backsplash of My Mind” because I’m never quite sure what I’ll tell them, since I have so much to share. And I can’t forget my blog that features all kinds of tie-ins to the series, including The Goodbye Lie Diaries (written by the characters themselves).

Author Jane Marie Malcolm
Jane Marie Malcolm/author

Is there anything else you’d like to add before we wrap things up?

Island living has given rise to my writing. I’m blessed to find my stories in the ocean’s wind as I walk the beach along the edge of the world. Characters bombard my thoughts with their ridiculous banter, which leaves me laughing. Other times, their words are so tender, I feel tears in my eyes, literally. Often they surprise me with their deeds and misdeeds, which can turn the story’s direction after just a few syllables. My fictional friends joined my family and, through my novels, may they become part of your family, too.

And remember, no matter your circumstances, if you’re ever stuck, with regard to writing, look around you and inspiration will show itself. Write for the love of the sport.