June 14, 2015

Little Things- Goodbye Lie Diaries- Breelan

Those Victorians didn't miss too many spots when it came to turning the plain into the ornate.  I love this hinge.  Don't ask me where I took the photo because I just recently found it in my computer, but it was from some wonderful old home we visited.


Look closely at the detail.  I can see eight round circles with slots for a screwdriver hidden among the stamped metal flowers.  Those folks back then didn't want their doors to fall off any time soon and it worked because we're enjoying their beauty today.  - Jane Marie

*********

The Goodbye Lie Diaries
1880s
Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida


Breelan Dunnigan
Breelan writes - You know, Jane Marie, I used to live in a rented house on South 3rd Street in Fernandina and I never once thought to look at the hinges.  I was too busy worrying about me and my wants and my desires back then...  You are right about little things.  It is those little things that add beauty where no one expects it.  I'm pretty certain there are no fancy hinges as you have pictured here in my little house out back of Dunnigan Manor, but I will check.  Now that I am aware of such, I will personally examine all the hinges in the manor. Better yet, the little ones and I will make a game of it since I cannot imagine how many doors there are in our huge family home. I could ask Daddy, since he is the architect. No, it will be more fun for us to go on the hunt for them. Thank you for pointing out this very special pretty.  I will look about for other extra pretties.

Breelan Dunnigan is the heroine in The Goodbye Lie, the first novel set in 1882 on Amelia Island, Florida, in Amelia Island's Goodbye Lie series.   The Goodbye Lie series e-books and paperbacks available here