September 21, 2015

Naked Ladies Return plus Goodbye Lie Diaries by Aunt Noreen

Present Day -
Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, Florida

Jane Marie writes:
Yes, I thought the title to this particular blog entry might catch your attention.  I was right because here you are! Some will be disappointed to find out the subject matter.  However, the gracious gardeners in the crowd will appreciate the information, if they don't know anything about this particular flower.  Yes, people, we're talking flowers today. 

About 15 years ago, a friend from Arizona gave me half-a-dozen bulbs and told me to "stick them in the dirt."  I did just that, except we have sand on Amelia Island, Florida, as you can see in the pictures. As soon as I planted them in the "back forty," I just as quickly forgot about them.  Did I mention I'm easily distracted?  Sometime later, oh maybe a year or so, I noticed the eruption of large broad leaves in the spring. Those leaves came and went and I didn't have to cut them back because they just disappeared on their own. The next fall, I was was surprised to see tall thin stocks shoot up quickly with no leaves on them, hence Naked Ladies. When the bud on top of each stock opened, there were these delightful red, whispie blossoms! 

I found some folks also call them Surprise Lilies, Lycoris (the real name) or Dancing Farmer Flowers. They are hardy in zones 5 though 10.  Being perennials, my favorite kind of flowers, plant a few bulbs and let these Naked Ladies entertain you for years!

For more info, visit this site:  Gardeningknowhow.com

*****************************************************
 1880s
Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida

Aunt Noreen
Aunt Noreen writes: Jane Marie, being a woman of good character, as you should strive to be, I have read every word of your books through what you call "the magic of electronics." I must say, some of the passages are less than decent.  I freely admit I have told my Orchid Society, my church ladies, Mrs. Ickles and the new librarian in town all about the depths of depravity into which you have descended.  They are all with me on this, so much so, they, too, want to read every word of your books, just to realize how far you've fallen. The final blow is you referring to such lovely floral specimens as Naked Ladies.  It is almost more than I can endure. We call this flower a Resurrection Lily.  In closing, you may be hearing from one or two of my outraged friends by way of this "magic" of yours, so be prepared!
*******************************************************
Jane Marie responds: Dear, dear, Aunt Noreen, I mean no disrespect, but my, oh my, how you carry on. I intended no corruption with the use of such a common name in our time as Naked Ladies.  I certainly love the beauty of your name for the flower. With regard to my novels and their, what did you call it, depravity, let me proudly declare that I dedicated The Goodbye Lie to my blessed father.  I did not want to be embarrassed when Daddy read it, meaning, to my mind, I write tastefully romantic stories.  I understand how the years between your generation and mine, sadly, have coarsened.  Rest assured, compared to much of what is written in my time, my stories a like nursery rhymes and I shall continue to keep them wholesome so my children will not be ashamed. 
 
*********************************************************************************

Aunt Noreen is a featured character, and I do mean character, in The Goodbye Lie series.

PURCHASE GOODBYE LIE NOVELS HERE