January 2, 2016

Fun Discovery-Hollywood Hearts

Eagle Eye, that would be me, does it again.  Look at the picture above.  There is Bette Davis on the left and Miriam Hopkins on the right in Old Acquaintance from 1943. It's about two frenemy-type authors competing for more than book sales. (Being a writer, I especially enjoy movies about writers.)  It was during the final scene from this film I made my discovery.  Examine the photo more closely now to see a physical representation of the occupation of these women.  Find it????  Look at the coffee table in front of the couch.  It seems to be two huge books, one atop the other!  I am proud of my powers of observation.

Writers, like set designers, add so very many tiny details to a story/movie to flavor it up, just like this book-table.  And how many of those tiny details are more often missed than seen?  It's a bonus when the audience finds our efforts.  That's why we all never tire of rereading-rewatching favorite books and movies. Each time, we can uncover a new something in the words or pictures to treasure. 

P.S. Do a search and you can find free versions of Old Acquaintance to download or pay $2.99 for it.  

By the way, I read where Bette and Miriam disliked each other immensely.  With a little research, that is a future blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment