February 18, 2016

In the Middle of the Night

sweet Abby?
Did I mention that Abby, our singing Chihuahua, and Button, our snoring cat, barked and hissed at each other at two o’clock in the morning the other day?  Thoughtless man that he can sometimes be, Bruce, my husband, had already gone to bed! While there was no actual contact between feline and canine, yet, I thought it best to separate them.  I grabbed the dog off the bathroom sink where I was combing her, looking for any fleas before she got in bed with us. With care, I gently tossed her on the bed as I told Bruce, who was still mostly asleep, to cover Abby’s eyes so she couldn't  see the cat, in hopes of defusing the animal confrontation.
Where's Button?
     He replied in his best bedroom voice, “Are you nuts?  If I try and hide her eyes, she'll bite me! My big toe is just now healing where she got me last week."  
     "Cry me a river," I sympathized. "Don't get any blood on the sheets this time!" 
     The next morning he asked, “What goes on in the middle of the night while you’re prowling the halls of our house? I had the craziest dream…”