April 21, 2016

What a Surprise Plus The Goodbye Lie Diaries-Aunt Noreen

Present Day
Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, Florida
Jane Marie types:  Have a look at the pictures to see what I saw as I pulled into the driveway of our humble home.  Not only was the bird sitting on our roof massive, but it held its outstretched wing in this position for at least five minutes.  It was plenty enough time for me to exit the car, grab my phone and snap these pictures. When it didn't fold its wing, I thought, perhaps, it was injured. I was happy to figure out the separated and ruffled feathers on its wing and head indicated it was all wet and now drying those feathers in the heat of the Florida sun. Finally, it shook itself and flew away.  While I've seen different birds in our time on Amelia Island, including my first Eastern Blue Bird the day before, this creature was remarkable with regard to its size and location, on the top of my house!   As to what kind of bird it was, the mailman said it was a buzzard. Whatever it was, I'll never forget it!  

*********************

Late 1880s
Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida
 
Aunt Noreen
Aunt Noreen writes: You may have seen a buzzard one time on top of your house, Jane Marie, but our family has a pet buzzard living next door to me.  We have named it Peeper! Having studied this particular species in depth because it eats with us as well as hovers inside and outside Dunnigan Manor, the vegetable garden, church, and the entire town, for that manner, it is difficult to escape its presence.  I warn all. Beware of the buzzards within. We all have them in our midst. 

*Aunt Noreen and Grandmother Peeper are featured and forever fighting characters in The Goodbye Lie historical romance series.  

available in e-book and paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment