March 16, 2019

The Irish Dunnigans Approve

     The Dunnigan family in my Goodbye Lie series highly approves of me sharing with readers a photo of my very own  Saint Patrick statue, actually made from peat*! (I have to brag that we got it in Dublin, Ireland! What a treat of a trip that was for us.) Michael Dunnigan, the patriarch in the novels,  is second generation Irish, so Saint Paddy's day is one of his favorite holidays.  
label on the bottom of the statue

*Peat- I had heard the word peat, but didn't know exactly what it was.  Wikipedia says: Peat, also known as turf, is an accumulation of partially  decayed vegetation or organic matter.  It is unique to natural areas called peatlands, bogs, mires, moors, or muskegs.  It is often cut out and dried for use as fuel and in gardening.


Many an Irish cottage burns peat in the fireplace. I was given incense-like cones made of peat to light. They made our own seaside cottage smell with the realism of an Irish home. Very, very cozy.

No comments:

Post a Comment