April 14, 2013

Save That Receipt!

My husband, Bruce (B) recently returned—No wait, recently TRIED to return a pair of slippers that didn't fit him.  The conversation with the store clerk (C) follows:

B- "I'd like to return this pair of slippers I paid $24.95 for."
C- "Certainly, sir.  Have you worn them?"

B- "No.  Well, only so much as to walk from the back of our house to the front.  We have a very small house."

C- "Do you have the receipt?"

B- "No, ma'am. I never expected them to be uncomfortable so I don't know what I did with it."

C- "Do you have the box they came in?"

B- "No, again. Same answer.  I didn't think I would need it."

C- "Well, I don't recognize that plaid insole, so are you sure you got them here?"

B- "Yes, I'm sure.  Is there anywhere else in town that sells this brand?" (Remember we live on a tiny island with few stores.)

C- "No, I believe we're the only place."

B- He looked at her.

C- "Let me see if I can find a stock number on them somewhere." (She did.)  "Okay. Do you have your credit card which you charged them on?"

B- "Here you go."
C- After running it through the cash register/computer,  "I'm afraid I don't see a charge for  them on your card."

B- Knowing that particular credit card had to be the one he used since that is the only one he carries, he asked, "So now what?"

C- "Well, let me see."  She pushed buttons and more buttons, saying between button pushing, "Since there is no receipt and no box, we will have to charge you for the missing box."  After still more button pushing, "Yes.  I can give you a refund of 85 cents."

B- "85 cents?"

C- "Yes, sir."
B-"Give them back to me.  I'll run over them with the lawn mower.  The entertainment factor is worth more than 85 cents."

C- Unsmiling, "Very well, sir."
B- As he went to leave, he said, "Hey, if you've got anymore of those 85 cent slippers around, I want 'um all.  I'll sell them on the street corner and make a killing!"