March 13, 2018

Goodbye Lie Diaries - Nora's Anytime Breakfast Wedges

Late 1800s, Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida

    
Nora writes:  My friend, Isabella, lives in town on Ash Street in the yellow cottage with the blue and white striped awnings.  Her mother has a statue of a pug dog on the front porch by the door.  Well, she brought these Breakfast Wedges
Nora
to our Sunny Ladies monthly tea.  They were very filling and delightful.  Isabella was happy to share her recipe with me and she gave me permission to share it with Jane Marie’s friends.
     By the way, Isabella is forever telling me how fortunate I am to play a role in Jane Marie’s novels. I told her that being Breelan Dunnigan’s first cousin who lives next door certainly helps, since Bree is the heroine in The Goodbye Lie.  I also told her that  if she lets Jane Marie know about a particular adventure in her life, perhaps she, too, might become a character in The Goodbye Lie Series or another of JM's writings.
     Now, I’ve told Jane Marie how to make this recipe and, as she often does, she has translated it into her modern products and culinary practices, which I find fascinating.  To think one can make bacon in this machine called microwave and not get attacked by spitting grease from the iron skillet, well, it is a wonder to me!

******************

Present Day, Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, Florida

     Jane Marie writes:  Thank you, Nora.  I honestly enjoy making the very same or as close to the same recipes that you make in your time.  Not only do we live on the same Amelia Island with the same beach, the same streets, the same buildings, the same vegetation, the same weather conditions, etc., but through the magic of these electronic Goodbye Lie Diaries, we can eat many of the same foods.  Rather than me only hearing your whispers in my ear and seeing your escapades in my mind's eye as I walk the shoreline, I can taste the breakfast foods, meats and desserts that you prepare. It brings us even closer, if that’s possible. Thank you, Nora, and please thank your friend, Isabella.  Perhaps Isabella may appear between the pages of one of my books.  Perhaps

**********

Nora’s Anytime Breakfast Wedges

You'll need:
  • 1 16.3 ounce of Pillsbury Honey Butter Grands    with flaky layers( 8 biscuits)
  • 8 slices crisp bacon (Publix brand fully cooked hickory smoked- I only purchase this when it’s Buy One, Get One Free, but I love the convenience of microwaving it.)
  • 4 eggs- scrambled
  • Cheese- 4 slices, ½ slice per biscuit, folded in half to fit biscuit or use shredded cheddar cheese
  • Parchment paper on cookie sheet
 Procedure:
  • Gently pull each of the eight biscuits apart in half horizontally, top and bottom, not side to side.   Lay them out on the parchment paper.
  • Scramble the 4 eggs adding a teaspoon or so of water before stirring in the pan.
  • Microwave the bacon, saving enough for the Breakfast Wedges, you big pig!  I’m talking to myself, here.
  • Spoon the scrambled eggs onto the center of the 8 biscuits, trying to keep the biscuit edges exposed. 
  • Top each with a piece of bacon, broken in two.
  • Top the bacon with cheese. 
  • Pinch the edges of the top and bottom biscuit together, letting the bacon poke out if you like.   
  • With a fork, score the edges to make them pretty.  Also with the fork, poke a hole in the top.
  • Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes until golden brown. Cut each biscuit into quarters or wedges.
  • Pass your favorite sauce, if desired: ketchup, ranch dressing, salsa
  •  You can use ham instead of bacon, of course, and add mild green chilies for a Mexican flavor or seeded tomatoes with Italian spices.
  • Get creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment