March 16, 2018

Goodbye Lie Diaries - Belleek Irish Pottery - Miss Ella

Late 1800s
Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida

Miss Ella writes: We just had a package delivered. My sweet sister-in-law, Katie Lawrence from Washington, D.C., sent Michael, well really the whole Dunnigan family, a lovely biscuit barrel, covered in hand painted shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day. It is made by the Belleek Pottery Company. I have heard nothing but delightful things about them and everything is true. This jar is so lightweight and delicate, how did it make it to our doorstep without a
*Miss Ella
chip or crack? You have to know, Grandmother Peeper will claim it as her own the moment she spies it. That is fine with me because she will keep it filled to the rim with her delightful biscuits. I must dash off a note of thanks to Kathleen, next thing.


***************

Present Day
Fernandina Beach, on Amelia Island, Florida

Jane Marie writes: Imagine my surprise when I first heard of the Irish pottery given to you in your time.  I, too, was recently gifted with the very same biscuit barrel!  I don't know its origins as it was presented to me by relatives who don't know its origin either.  They were readying a family home for sale, discovered this and thought of me.  If I've never mentioned it, the Irish is alive and well in me.
     Hmm ... Since my family doesn't know its origin, might it possibly have belonged to the Dunnigan clan from your day and got somehow separated from your family to end up in mine? Oh, I like to think that.  By jingo, that is just what happened.  I'm sure of it. Well, pretty sure.  Anyway, I like the idea and will tell the tale.
     I did a bit of research on Belleek Pottery and found the factory opened in County Fermanagh in Ireland in 1857 in the village of Belleek. According to their website at www.belleek.com/, it is Ireland's oldest working fine china/pottery factory. Their process takes 16 people to handle each new piece.  If there is a flaw of any kind, it will never be sold. Thus, perfection is their watchword.
     Watch this video to see how they do it: Belleek Pottery Made in Ireland  

HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY

from The Dunnigans of
and Jane Marie Malcolm and Family

*Miss Ella is the matriarch of the fictional Dunnigans  on Amelia Island, Florida. Known for her grace and kindness, she is the culinary supervisor for Aqua Verde Passenger line, the family business.

No comments:

Post a Comment