January 27, 2022

Candy Canes to Valentines - The Goodbye Lie Diaries - Breelan Dunnigan


Goodbye Lie Diaries Defined:

     Through the magic of electronics, mental telepathy and a smidge of time travel, we are able to communicate with our clan of characters in The Goodbye Lie series, from their time  in the late 1800s to ours and back. The result is The Goodbye Lie Diaries, scattered throughout this blog.

Breelan Dunnigan is the second oldest sister in the family of four Dunnigan siblings in north Florida in 1882.  Life on an island is filled with sun and salty times and she is prime in the mix in the first novel in the series, The Goodbye Lie. Her naivete does not serve her well with regard to matters of the heart. She will learn from her mistakes, but soon enough?         -Jane Marie

Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida

Circa Late 1800s

Breelan 

Breelan Dunningan writes:  Clover, friend to all children and our beloved handyman, twisted a span of heavy wire then fashioned it into two candy canes for Christmas a few years back. We hung the canes on the two palm trees in our front yard.  As walked up our drive from an hour at the beach one warm winter afternoon, I saw those canes and it came to me that, should one put them together, they would form a heart! I told Mother my intention and with her permission, and Clover's, I carried through. Grandmother Peeper told me to go through her flowerdy sack of left over yarn she keeps by her rocker. There I found a ball of white yarn. Simply wrapping each candy cane shape, around and around with the thick string, and securing the two cane together, the result was a heart. It's hanging on the front door of Dunnigan Manor this very moment in anticipation of my favorite holiday, Valentine's Day. 

***

Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, Florida

Present Day

Jane Marie Malcolm writes:   I love your  idea so much, Breelan, I made a candy cane heart myself.  I didn't have any wire, but instead used two large candy canes I found on the curb one day, just waiting to be picked up by the trash man. As you did, my heart, is hanging on our front door.  The yarn I used has silver threads in it that add sparkle.  Thank you for being so creative and Happy Valentine's Day to you! 

                 *******  

  Amelia Island, Florida, late 1800s


🌹🌹🌹The Goodbye Lie

 Series

at Amazon.com  


                   follow the lure,                    the love, 

      the legend ...

No comments:

Post a Comment