July 6, 2011

Goodbye Lie Diaries - Aunt Noreen

1880s June
Fernandina, Florida

Aunt Noreen writes:
My Grandmama used to say if you give children sugar before bed their gaylin' will soon turn to wailin'.  Right she was. That old Peeper made sand tarts with almonds and it wasn't two minutes after they ate that the babies were running about and screaming. My head is splitting. Mac tripped over Blackie White Spots and skinned his shin almost to the bone.  He did not much care. He was proud of all the blood. It made me sick. What a disgusting little creature Mac is. Just like his Uncle Pat. He may be my nephew but I only claim Pat Dunnigan as such because everyone knows we're blood. I realize it is dangerous to write these things down but sometimes a woman must let her sufferings out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment