April 27, 2016

Mine, Yours and Ours-GBL Diaries-Aunt Noreen

We are all so busy.  As I was writing the EZ BBQ Chicken recipe post of March 28, 2015 (http://graciousjanemarie.blogspot.com/search?q=bbq), I asked myself the question, are we busier now than characters Miss Ella or Peeper or Breelan in their time in the late 1800s in my Goodbye Lie series? Before I could think in depth about that, a nagging came over me and then I realized it was coming from Aunt Noreen, by way of her Goodbye Lie Diary entry. Please see below:

Late 1880s
Fernandina on Amelia Island
Florida
                                           
 Aunt Noreen writes:  Good day to all
Aunt Noreen
around the world who read Jane Marie's Goodbye Lie Diaries, which include special entries by me.  I have hesitated to bring up this point before now, always trying to keep harmony within the family. This is often difficult as the Dunnigans can be a grumbling lot. You know this if you read any of Jane Marie's novels in her Goodbye Lie trilogy.  It is I who, daily, must fend off attacks from Peeper and too many others to name. There are those whose sole desire is to crush my intelligent and overly generous spirit and who want to keep me from speaking, lest I stir controversy. Be it the size of the biscuits or the length of the flower stem, sometimes, said controversy must be stirred.  It is these seemingly unimportant matters that keep America strong. 

     Now I come to the heart of this entry.   I believe it is time Jane Marie stops seeking all the glory as sole creator of The Goodbye Lie  stories.  For without me, especially me, the center, the focus, the cornerstone of her stories, they would be little more than passionately dramatic mysteries peppered with family angst, treachery and lies.  If I do not tell you how my personality exudes strength, thereby fascination, you may not bother to read the books and, oh, what a mighty loss you would own. Therefore, since I am practically featured on every page,  Jane Marie should no longer take complete credit for writing by always referring to the books as "my" novels and "my" tales.  Rather, she should say "our" stories. 

Present time
Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island Florida

Jane Marie writes: As you have read, I am getting a lot of pressure through these Goodbye Lie Diaries to credit the characters, and rightfully so, who whisper their stories in my ear. My soul absorbs their thoughts and deeds and misdeeds, so much so, that I am able to tell you of them, in depth. Slowly their actions bubble up to my typing fingertips and I can share with one and all by way of the written word.  So yes, Aunt Noreen.  The stories are not mine alone. How grateful I am you all are generally very generous about revealing so many private details. From the youngest to the oldest of characters, thank you for sharing so much. From here on out, I will refer to The Goodbye Lie books as mine, yours and ours, the ours being those readers who join us in adventure, action and love.

Aunt Noreen responds:  Are you inferring that I am one of your OLD characters, Jane Marie?

Jane Marie explains:  As you can see, the voices I hear in my head, the characters challenging and caring, loving and fighting, laughing and arguing, might drive a less sane person crazy.

"But not me."  "Who said that?" "Said what?" "Crazy." "Who is crazy?"  "Are you calling me crazy?"  "Who wants to know?" "Which of you is accusing me?"  "What are you talking about?" "Who is that talking?"  "Hush up."  "Don't tell me to-"  "Now ladies."  "I won't stand for any disrespect."  "Where is he?"  "Where is who?"  "He was supposed to be here."  "Give the man a moment to breathe." "When he comes home, you can... 

The paragraph above is just five seconds in the life of the brain in my head.  And you wonder why I have so many Lucy moments?