October 4, 2019

Oh What a Pal was Mary - A 1919 Hit!


     I love YouTube!  For giggles one rainy day, I thought I would try and discover what the melodies of some of the antique sheet music we have around the house sound like.  This particular piece, Oh What a Pal was Mary, with the beautiful picture of a 1919 bride is in a green wooden frame in our front bath.  I always think romantic thoughts when I look at this Mary, a demure bride holding her flowers in front of a stained glass church window.
     Sing along with the lyrics below and take a step back into the last century. 
   

𝅘𝅥𝅮𝅘𝅥𝅯𝅘𝅥OH ! WHAT A PAL WAS MARY 𝅘𝅥𝅮𝅘𝅥𝅯𝅘𝅥

(Edgar Leslie, Bert Kalmar / Pete Wendling, 1919)
Mary o' mine, Mary o' mine, Grew like a rose in a bower, Bloomed for a day, Faded away, I lost a beautiful flower; Sweetheart and friend, right to the end; That's why I miss her so. Mary o' mine, Mary o' mine, My little playmate of childhood, Symbol of love, Sent from above, Staunch as an oak in the wildwood; Mem'ries of old, purer than gold; Fill me with love sublime. Oh! what a gal was Mary, Oh! what a pal was she, An angel was born on Easter morn, and God sent her down to me. Heart of my heart was Mary, Soul of my soul divine, Though she is gone, love lingers on,
For Mary, old pal of mine.

(Thank you to Lyrics Playground - https://lyricsplayground.com/alpha/songs/o/ohwhatapalwasmary.html)

Thank you, also, to CatsPjamas1 on YouTube for the pretty audio of Oh What a Pal Was Mary.  Check out her channel for tons more music from the 1900s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment