October 15, 2019

Crustless Cheese and Beer Quiche

     I love most any version of quiche.  I'm always mixing different ingredients and, frankly, I have never had a fail.  Quiche can be rich, by nature, and calorie filled.  So, by prepping your baking pan with non-stick spray, you can omit the crust and pour the mixed ingredients directly into the dish.  Here is how I made my Cheese and Beer Quiche. Just like Miss Ella Dunnigan, the matriarch in my Goodbye Lie series, I don't always measure exactly ...

You'll need:
2  nine-inch store-bought frozen pie crusts (not deep dish), thawed - If you're going crustless, you not only save calories, but money having not to purchase the pie shells
6 eggs
1/4 cup no-fat milk
1/2 cup beer (I used non-alcoholic. Although I don't like the taste of beer to drink, I do like the beer flavor in quiche, muffies and cheese fondue.  Go figure. Next time, I will skip the milk and use only beer for the liquid.)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 
1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese (I used 2% reduced fat.  No fat cheese doesn't melt well, but this 2% works fine.)
1/2 cup or more of Pecorino Romano, shredded (Add no salt because this wonderfully strong cheese is salty.)
8 ounce can of  mushroom stems and pieces, drained and rinsed to remove extra salt
Pepper to taste

     Poke the thawed pie crusts with a fork and bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for about 5 or 6 minutes to help crisp the crust. Let cool. (The fork holes will prevent the baked crust from puffing up. If it does puff, just press it back down.)

     Whisk the eggs by hand till mixed well.  Add the other ingredients and fill the 2 pie shells evenly. Bake about 45 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean and the crust is golden brown.  To prevent the crust from browning too much, loosely cover each pie with a square of foil with the center cut away.  The crust is protected, but the middle of the pie will still bake evenly.

Enjoy,

Jane Marie  

No comments:

Post a Comment