June 22, 2016

My Purple Chidken - Another Lucy Moment

   When I cook, the result is most often tasty.  However, the appearance is just as often not what I expect it to be.  Case in point:  There I was, wondering the answer to the question my friend, Jamie, often asks, "What are you chiseling out of the freezer tonight?"  So to that end, I knew there were some boneless, skinless chicken breasts just waiting to be thawed and turned into another of my never to be repeated because I can't remember just what I did, delicacies.  Okay, what should I add to the slow cooker with the chicken?  I found some frozen onions and green pepper pieces, canned spiced tomatoes, broken pieces of spaghetti noodles and  red wine in the refrigerator.  I dumped all but the noodles into the pot, which in my vast culinary experience, must be added the last few minutes, lest they don't soften to the point of disappearance. I added the lid and cranked the dial to high. 
   Leaving the kitchen and entering Story Central, down the hall, the special spot in our home where the minutes, like  the overcooked noodles, disappear as I empty my mind of the thickening agent which will add flavor to the characters in my next novel, Sand and Sin. What eventually tore me away from the story of the woman in the leaking canoe being paddled down the rough river rapids through the jungle--was the smell, a delicious small.  I hastened back to the kitchen, to trip over the cat and land, after one less than graceful skid, in front of the crockpot. Daring not to lift the lid, I anticipated the taste of heaven arriving within the next hour.
   The table set, I served the spiced bouquet of odiferous delight by the bowl to my waiting family. The comments flowed like the tomato based broth before them.
   "Ick.  What is that purple stuff?  Liver?"
   "It looks like eels!  I'll vomit if I have to look at it again."
   "Mom, what did do this time? Did you mix up our dinner with the garbage, again?"
   Oh, those kidders of mine - Perhaps I was a tish heavy-handed with the red wine, but I've never had better tasting purple chidkin, our new name for this most unusual chicken, in my life. Of course, the blindfold helped a lot.