June 8, 2017

Capt Fancy Patch Spies on the Rocks ...

     Howdy to all me buckos out there.  'Tis I, 
Captain Fancy Patch of me ship, The Rosey Freckle.  Whilst docked a mere half mile off shore of our home port of Amelia Island, Florida, being in the United of States, on the continent of North America, my sailors rowed me in a wee dingy to the beach sos we could go exploring.  Whether at sea or on dry land, in this case, sand, we are always on an adventure because life means livin' and that is one thing we know all about. 
    
     So, there we were, makin' our way down one road and then the next with me leadin' the way, naturally. That was when I threw up me hand, and my crew took my meaning to stop sudden-like and be still as a starving mouse in a cheese factory with a cat  watchin'.  I pointed to the bed of small rocks to the east and all heads turned with eyes followin' to see three brown speckled eggs! There was no soft nest, no gathering of twigs and leaves to cushion the eggs.  Nope, just hard stones, but whatever
laid the eggs, sure did a fine job camouflaging them.  Bein' the reasonable man I am, I calculated they were bird eggs, having spied the mama bird not ten feet away, pretendin' to have a broken wing so as to distract us from her soon to be born babes and toward her.  A brave mother she is.  I'm thinking mama is of the killdeer species since she lays by water, the ocean bein' not far, and on the gravel.  Again, it would make sense that her babies would be killdeers, too.  
  
     Should any among ya know different,  please let Jane Marie know and she will pass the word onto me.  Her email address is graciousjanemarie@yahoo.com. If I hear no dispute, I will assume those are, indeed, killdeer eggs, and hope the stray cats and dogs in the area will let the little creatures alone to hatch and fly away.  Jane Marie has promised to keep me informed as the good friend she is.  
    
     Until next time, may the tide be with ye, the wind fill your sails and your barnacles be few.

************

Click on the link above for E-books and Paperbacks

Captain Fancy Patch makes a cameo appearance in Amelia Island's Mark of a Man.  Click on the YouTube link and watch him read The Great Amelia Island Sniff-Off, a bedtime story for the whole family.


Click here for more killdeer info and pics. Thank you to birdwatching.com for their wonderfully educational sight. - jmm

#killdeer, #Captain_Fancy_Patch, #pirate, #beach, #Amelia_Island, #bedtime_story, #family

No comments:

Post a Comment