June 16, 2017

Goodbye Lie Diaries - A Remembrance - Miss Ella

Late 1800s
Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida

*Miss Ella writes:
   I recall my mother, we all later called her Grammy,  pressing a yellow daisy, given her by my father, between the pages of the old family Bible.  She said some might say it was disrespectful to use the Good Book in such a fashion and that we should be reading it instead.  That particular Bible was in our parlor and in my mother's parlor before me. 
Age was beginning to pay a visit to the delicate pages so we used another, less fancy one, from which to read our devotions. Besides, she said, "It seems meet, right and proper, so to do, to care enough for one of God's colorful creations to make a keepsake of it, since it was He who crafted the flowers in the Beginning."

     She also told me this verse:

A posy picked is a passing pleasure,
But a posy pressed is a remembrance forever.


*****************************

The time is now.
Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, Florida

Jane Marie writes:   Miss Ella, I am so glad you recall Grammy pressing flowers in the Bible.  It is almost like the event during which the flower is received is blessed.  I took the photograph, above, of the pansy to let you know we are still pressing flowers in my time.  I got a letter from a dear friend written on this pansy stationery. It is so delicate and beautiful, I've save it over the years.  I thought it would add to your little poem to offer a sweet example of a pressed flower.  We must continue traditions of the heart, like this.  It makes me smile, looking at the perfect petals and fern.   

*********************************************

E-books, Paperbacks and Info available most everywhere and at:

*Miss Ella is the matriarch of the Dunnigan family, set on Amelia Island, Florida in the late 1800s.  Her sensitivity and kindness are inviting to strangers and make her beloved to family and friends. 


#pressed_flower,  #Bible, #tradition, #Amelia_Island, #Fernandina, #Amelia Island_historical_novel

No comments:

Post a Comment