June 5, 2011

Goodbye Lie Diaries Catch-Up

I thought we'd play "catch-up" with the Goodbye Lie Diaries since not everyone in the world sees my Facebook page. We can't leave folks out, so here are the latest everyday thoughts of the different historic series characters featured in The Goodbye Lie and Amelia Island's Velvet Undertow. Remember, you and I can read their words but they can't see one another's. SCROLL DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS UPDATE and scroll back up as you read the entries in the order they were written.


‎1880s June
Fernandina, Florida


Michael Dunnigan (patriarch) writes:
My sister, Noreen, is a real pip. I heard her telling poor Clabe how a hurricane is only bad if it hits you. Charity certainly doesn't begin in her home. Why am I not surprised?

***
‎1880s June
Fernandina, Florida

Aunt Noreen writes:
It is hurricane season again. Heard it is supposed to be bad, what with all the recent tornadoes in Georga and mid-West. Then again, there is no telling. Of course, a hurricane isn't so bad unless it hits you.


***
‎1880s May
Fernandina, Florida


Carolena Dunnigan (oldest sister) writes:
Grandmother Peeper gave me a jar of bacon fat to prevent chapped lips. Aside from making me want a stack of flapjacks & a dozen slice’s of sow bosom, as my Uncle Fries always says, it works. Then I got a small irritation on my lip. Was I suddenly allergic to bacon grease? I a...sked Mama & Peeper. They laughed & said that was impossible. Could it be scurvy or rickets. As a remedy, I ate a half jar of orange preserves since oranges are good for you. That made me sick to my stomach. Hey, the sun cures lots of diseases and upsets. So there I was, sitting on a wooden crate behind Clover’s tool shed to ensure privacy while I sunned my bare ankles. While exposing my limbs, it came to me. I had burned my lip on fried catfish Daddy made for dinner last night. I hope to be healed by tomorrow. If not, I’ll take more drastic measures.


***
‎1880s May
Fernandina, Florida

Miss Ella (Dunnigan family matriarch) writes:
The church gave young Ben a covered dish meal this noon in honor of his departure to seminary tomorrow. His warm, glowing smile and gentle ways will make him a comfort to all in his work for the Lord. I
took fresh sliced strawberries and we served them over Peeper's Angel cake. That seemed appropriate for the occasion. Aunt Noreen made her ice cream. The day was warm but not so warm that the ice should have kept it firm. We suggested it might need more churning. Not one to take advice, the children drank their melted ice cream. Noreen was humiliated and we all tried to sooth her hurt feelings, except Peeper who laughed, by saying it still tasted good. Noreen would have none of it. She went off mad, dragging Clabe and Warren Lowell with her. Ice cream can be difficult to keep firm.


***
‎1884 May
Fernandina, Florida


Breelan writes (2nd  oldest Dunnigan daughter):
It's hot today. More than hot, it's blistering. Sometimes I wish I could go round wearing trousers every day like Daddy and Jack Patrick. It has to be cooler. Then again, I don't know how Waite would find me. One thing is for certain sure. He would still find me, no matter how I dressed.

***
‎1884 May

Fernandina, Florida

Carolena writes (oldest Dunnigan sister):
My hair just won't hold its curl in this Florida humidity. Curly hair gets curlier. Straight hair goes even straighter. It's not fair, diary.

***
‎1884 May

Fernandina, Florida

Grandmother Peeper writes:
I'm makin' up a batch a my best herb plaster ta send ta them poor folks over yonder. Wish I could be agoin' to help 'um but my poor feet is hurtin' me somethin' fierce. Won't be no good ifn' I can't walk around much.


***
1884 May

Fernandina, Florida

Michael Dunnigan (patriarch) writes:
We are so fortunate. Our little town was spared from the tornadoes. Not so lucky are some in our neighboring states of Alabama and Georgia. Fernandina churches are gathering supplies and such for those poor unfortunates suffering from the devastating tornado loss. Miss Ella and the girls baked a dozen loaves of bread and gave much of our store of canned preserves, tomatoes, snap beans and the like. Figuring it was the right color and size, as my father used to say, I wrote a check and delivered the lot to St. Michael's. We've never missed a penny or a thing we've shared.

***
‎1884 May

Fernandina, Florida

Breelan (2nd oldest daughter)writes:
While at the Florida Mirror, I heard it reported bad weather was coming. Tornadoes have been spotted touching down. Folks have lost their lives and livelihoods. God bless them all.

***
‎1884 April

Fernandina, Florida

Breelan (2nd oldest daughter) writes:
Waite heard about a fellow who fell in the pit beneath his outdoor necessary. Apparently, bad boys had moved the little house. Being a lady, after all, I pretended not to laugh, telling him it wasn't fitting, but being a full-time lady can put quite a strain on a girl.


***
‎1884 April
Fernandina, Florida


Captain Waite Taylor writes:
Breelan was down at the Florida Mirror today. I suggested she turn in the following story, Local Fernandina Man has a Moving Experience, about some young hooligans who slud back Oliver Tolliver's outhouse about four feet, and how Oliver was seen running through the moonlight, tearing off his long-johns yelling, "Lordy, Lordy! Lordy!" She didn't think her editor would find my story worthy. Too bad for the Florida Mirror.

No comments:

Post a Comment