July 2, 2014

The Goodbye Lie Diaries- Pat's Favorite Picture Eggs

Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida
1880s

Pat Dunnigan writes:

Pat Dunnigan
I generally don't write down recipes.  I leave that to my sisters, mother and grandmothers.  This time is different.  Ever since I can remember, Grandmother Peeper has been making Picture Eggs especially for me, her Bird of the Earth.  To this day, she'll ask if I'm hungry and when I tell her yes, the first thing she offers is Picture Eggs. I'm putting pencil to paper to remind my wife, whoever she turns out to be, to make them for the children we'll someday have.

Pat's Favorite Picture Eggs
Here's what you do to make a single serving: 
Get out the large skillet for just one won't be near enough. Butter both sides of one slice of bread.  Take a round cookie cutter or glass and cut out a circle right in the middle of the bread. Put the bread and the cut out circle in the hot pan. Crack a raw egg and drop it into the hole, frying the circle at the same time. Flip it over after a minute or two and brown the other side of the bread. Don't overcook the egg if you want the yolk to be runny.  Add a smidgen of salt and pepper. Dip the toast circle into the egg juice or spread with jam and as Jane Marie says, "Enjoy!"

Pat Dunnigan is a featured player in Amelia Island's Mark of a Man, an historic suspense novel in Amelia Island's Goodbye Lie series, set in Victorian Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida in 1898.

**************
Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, Florida   
Present Day                                                                           

Jane Marie writes:
Thank you for the wonderful idea, Pat.  I tried one and quickly gobbled it down. I think Picture Eggs would make a great all-American breakfast to serve on the 4th of July or anytime!

Picture Egg and Toast Circle