April 8, 2015

Goodbye Lie Diaries-Peeper's Dare to Wear

Our little Ava drew the picture showing the girl wearing different earrings. -jmm
1880s
Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida

Grandmother Peeper writes: You know I have many, many children.  They come in all sizes from big and old and tall ta wee little babies, with lots of in-betweeners, too.   It wouldn't be right ta say I like one over another. It would hurt feelin's and I don't care ta do that unless it's Aunt Noreen's feelin's 'cause she don't have none, really she don't.
Peeper

    So I had a idea and I'm adoin' it right now.  Since everybody has birthdays, or else they wouldn't be here, I thought I could show my love, ta two of my children at time, by wearin' different color earbobs that repersent the month they was born in. Every day I reach inta a bowl of simple jewels folks has give ta me over all my years and pull out two colors ta put on.  There ain't no pattern or reason ta which ones I wear.  Some fancy folks might get ta laughin' at me fer being a crazy old lady.  I may be crazy and I guess ya kin say I'm old, too.  It makes no nevermind, so long as I show my children they is each special ta me.

*******

Present day
Fernandina Beach, Florida

Jane Marie writes: Peeper, what a wonderful idea!  I love it.  In fact, I love it so much, I have two different earrings on right now!  Because I wear smaller studs, none of my friends noticed until I  pointed out what I was doing.  And yes, they laughed at me, but it was all in good fun.  I can be pretty wacky anyway.  I hope you're proud of me for not worrying what others think.  My plan is to get costume jewelry for the birthdays of the months of family members I don't have, and still not not break the bank.  It's fun, as you said, to randomly change them out. It reminds me to think special thoughts about a particular person each time I look in the mirror and see them.
   You know, too, you could wear the birthstones of your immediate children or just your grandchildren or, maybe, on an anniversary, wear your birthstone and your husband's. And they don't have to be studs.  If you like dangles, wear those in different colors.  Why not?  Let your ears tell the story of those you love.

Peeper is one of the most beloved characters in the Dunnigan family from the historical Amelia Island's Goodbye Lie Trilogy. By the way, she doesn't like to be called Grandmother Peeper, just Peeper, but for clarification purposes to those who are new to this blog, we sometimes address her as grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment