June 22, 2014

A Wedding Why

I am a traditionalist, weddings included. When you attend such a glorious event, you are usually asked by an usher if you are a friend of the bride or groom. Where does this practice come from, I wondered.  Come to find out, centuries ago, thieves would capture the bride to get hold of her dowry.  In order to protect her, the groom would have her on his left side so he had access to his sword with his right hand. 

Well, when you attend the ceremony, the usher will direct you to the left of the aisle if you know the bride and to the right if you know the groom.  My complaint with this arrangement is the guest is unable to see the expression of the bride or groom because the bride or groom has her or his back to said guest.  And yes, of course, you don't mind seeing the expression of the other person being wed, but, I for one, want to see the reactions of my loved one. Call me selfish...  Anyway, this is American, and if it means that much to me, I think I will be breaking with tradition in the future and sitting on the wrong side.  Go ahead call me a rebel.  I can take it!