May 20, 2011

And the Rocks Have It

I was cleaning the house last night getting ready for company and thought back to our first cats over twenty years ago. I never remember having a problem with kitty litter. Now, no matter how often I run the sweeper, if I walk in my bare feet, even if it’s thirty seconds after vacuuming, I can feel a piece of litter here and there. GRRRR. After all this time, I figured out why. Number one: Our first cats were indoor/outdoor kitties. They slept and ate inside but went outside to do what was necessary. Then along came Mr. Buzzbee and Spew, cats inherited from our daughter when she moved to a no pets apartment. They were strictly indoor cats. Hence, the dreaded litter box. Number two: Until the last few years, we had carpet throughout our homes. With tile now, there is nowhere for the litter to hide, no carpet fibers. Area rugs help considerably to catch the irritating mini- boulders, but not so much that I still don’t feel them beneath my feet. Bottom line- If we ever get another kitty, and I feel our neighborhood is safe, meaning little traffic, I will train him/her to be the indoor/outdoor kind of cat, translation: NO litter box. In the meanwhile, one look into the faces of our sweet Spew and not-so-sweet Button, aka Little Naughty, and I can endure the granules under my tootsies. Hey, Bruce, my hubby, doesn’t refer to me as the Princess and the Pea for nothing."

No comments:

Post a Comment