September 2, 2013

Goodbye Lie Diaries - Aunt Noreen & Labor Day

Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida
1889
Aunt Noreen
 
 
*Aunt Noreen writes:  I, for one, am concerned what this holiday, called Labor Day, will bring.  It is so difficult to get good help these days and now with this extra day for the hired hands and servants to just lay about... Well, I can endure if I must.  I can make my own tea and draw my own bath, but to have to make an extra three meals for my family?  Granted, they praise me for my cooking, still-- Yes, I already do these things when Winnie American has her regular day off during the week.  But to encourage idleness like this?  What will be next? Pet Your Rabbit Day or perhaps National Shine Your Door Knocker Day?  My word!  We live in absurd times. 

***********

Jane Marie writes: You can rest easy, Aunt Noreen. In your future, my time, studies show that rewarding hard work with a day off enlivens the spirit of workers and makes them happier and more productive.  So bake a peach cobbler for your family and save a piece for Winnie.  She'll appreciate your efforts.  Oh, and remember to take it out of the oven this time.  Happy Labor Day everyone!

*Noreen Dunnigan Duffy is a featured player in Amelia Island's Goodbye Lie Trilogy and lives next door to her brother, Michael Dunnigan, just southwest of the Amelia Light (lighthouse), on the west side of the marsh.  Aunt Noreen is not known for her cooking but rather her difficult personality and is in constant battle with Grandmother Peeper.  Their squabbles make for interesting times at Dunnigan family gatherings or any time Aunt Noreen struggles her way across the cropped field for a visit.  Pepper makes sure her stay in never long.