February 11, 2014

Goodbye Lie Diaries - Peeper Worries plus Coffee Roast

1880s Fernandina, Florida


Grandmother Peeper
Grandmother Peeper writes:

Aunt Noreen just give me a earful, Jane Marie, saying ya ought not ta be writin' about the squabbles betwixt my Breelan and them two fellas, Captain Waite  and Lt. Trip, the gents achasin' her. Them words a yourn in The Goodbye Lie is pretty personal, I admit, but if'n Breelan don't mind folks reading 'bout her findin' her true love, who is Aunt Noreen ta say different? Why, if a singin' kangaroo jumped out of a tree and landed in front a her, she'd scold him fer bein' off key. So what's she know?  Nothin'!  She ain't worth the spit it takes ta say her name.

Oh, I forgot ta tell you, Janie, we gots ta git ourselves a new fish fer the well.  I think one a Jack Patrick's friends come by, pulled it up in the bucket then took it home fer supper. Nugget is down at the creek just afishin' hisself silly, getting another sos it can eat the bugs in the well water fer us. 

We're havin' Grammy's Coffee Roast Beef after church, come Sundee noon.  Ya need ta be acookin' some a that meat fer yourself and your family, making sure your Barbra has the recipe when you're gone.  It's a keeper.

**********************
Present Time, Fernandina, Florida 
Jane Marie writes:

Hey Peep,
I appreciate you cautioning me over my writing.  Don't worry.  Remember, I dedicated The Goodbye Lie to my father, because I didn't want either of us to be embarrassed when he read it.  He wasn't.  So, if it passed the Daddy test, I think we're safe.

I've made the Coffee Roast before. You're right.  It's time to make it again.  And yes, I'll be sure Barbra has the recipe.

We've had terribly cold nights last week.  I hope my orange tree will survive.  It has dropped some leaves, but I think it is still hanging on. Fingers crossed.    

And try not to fight with Aunt Noreen.  Although, we all find your tiffs interesting to follow, dare I say entertaining, they can't be good for your blood pressure or your bunions.

Love to the family- and that includes Aunt Noreen! Remember, she's still Michael's sister and if you love him, and I know you do, you'll love his sister. Well, you can at least pretend, can't you?

*********************
Coffee Roast Beef
(The recipe is below but here, also, is the link to the recipe on our 700 page website, www.GraciousJaneMarie. It is for those who love a rich beefy taste. http://www.greenlightwrite.com/coffeebeef.htm )

The story goes that cowboys in the Wild West roasted beef seasoned with coffee over the campfire.  My husband came across this recipe in Roswell, New Mexico at a potluck supper.  Give it a try for something different and delicious.    Enjoy,
    Jane Marie
 
 
 
 
You'll need:
  • 3 pound beef roast (with the fat removed)
  • 6 cups of strong brewed coffee
  • 4 to 6 garlic cloves, minced or garlic powder
Preheat the oven to 325° F 
Make several slits in the raw roast and insert the garlic chips or sprinkle the roast generously with garlic powder. 
Place the meat in a roasting pan and pour the coffee beside it - not over it or it will wash off the garlic powder.  Cover with foil or lid. 
Bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours until the meat falls apart, removing the cover during the last half an hour to brown the meat.
Cool 10 minutes before slicing. 
Make gravy from the drippings or serve the unthickened coffee/beef broth left in the bottom of the pan over noodles, rice or potatoes. 
Pass the salt and pepper.
I’ve also made this in the slow cooker set on low for 6 to 8 hours until it turns into stringy meat.