April 5, 2018

Goodbye Lie Diaries - Miss Ella's Tropical Coleslaw



Late 1800s
Fernandina, Florida
   Miss Ella writes: As a little girl, I remember hearing the word koolsla, which means cabbage salad in Dutch. We, of course, call it coleslaw today. My family often requests it, particularly on hot days. I shred a head of cabbage, a carrot and dress it with a mixture of oil, egg yoke and vinegar. The unexpected ingredients I add to make it "tropical" are pineapple and peanuts.  I have had so many positive comments from everyone, I now serve this Tropical Coleslaw in the dining rooms of the ships of our Aqua Verde Passenger Line.  
*Miss Ella
     I am guessing Jane Marie's entry in these Goodbye Lie Diaries will be her present day version of this recipe.  I do hope you like it.  If not,  don't tell anyone this is my recipe.  You can say it's Aunt Noreen's and blame it on her.  She is  known for a lot of things, but her cooking is not one of them.   
   Oh my.  That was certainly less than Christian, wasn't it. Speaking or writing unkind words, no matter if they are true, is not to be done.  I will strive to do better.
***


Present Day
Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, Florida

Jane Marie writes: There is a lovely woman at church, Donna Lind, who brought her version of this recipe to a potluck.  We all loved it, too, Miss Ella. Preparing food for my family that is similar to what you serve in your home or on your ships, keeps us close.  I love we can do this through the magic of electronics!

Tropical Coleslaw
1 16 ounce bag of shredded coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots)
Coleslaw dressing- Add to taste using your favorite brand. I used Marzetti (on sale) or Marie's is good, too, I was told.
1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained ( I liked the pineapple so much, next time, I will add the larger 20 ounce can, drained)
peanuts, lightly salted (Next time, I will try the honey roasted peanuts for an added touch of sweetness.)

In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients.  Chill and keep in the refrigerator. Serve as a side dish.  It was so good, I had a bowl (or two) as my main course!  

Note: I Googled pineapple grown in Florida and found they are not commercially grown here.  However, people grow them on their own property, like Miss Ella does.  Records show the earliest growth in the state was 1860. 

*Miss Ella is the matriarch of the Dunnigan family on Amelia
Island, Florida.  A featured player in The Goodbye Lie Series, she is a wonderful hostess, cook and often the only voice of reason with regard to her family's deeds and misdeeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment