May 21, 2019

Once Upon a Bike plus Goodbye Lie Diaries- Pat




























Present Day
Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, FL

     Jane Marie writes: You know how they say: if the walls could talk?  Well, what about this old bike?  I would bet it could tell a tale or two. Where did it travel? What was the farthest distance it traversed at one time or the entire time it was ridden? How many owners did it have? How did it come to be in the rusty, beat-up stage it was when our wonderful neighbor, Peggy, asked me if I wanted it? Did I?
     I don't know about you, but while I sprayed it with an entire can of blue paint to cover the rust, I wondered these things.  Peggy even  included two metal baskets and moss basket liners. Besides painting, all I had to do was add the flowers.  Next time, I think I will look for plants that drape and hang a little more, per Peggy's suggestion but, bottom line, I like it!  Thank you, Peggy!

P.S.  I am having to water it every day because of our harsh Florida heat. I just saw on YouTube that if you line the bottom of your moss basket with a disposable baby diaper which, of course, holds moisture, it will reduce the frequency of  times you need to water!  I happen to have several new diapers left over after making a baby shower faux cake, so I'm all set. 


***
Late 1880s
Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida

Pat Dunnigan
Pat Dunnigan writes:  I don't want to sound rude, Miss Jane, but what is the matter with you? Why, with a wire brush and some elbow grease, you can clean up the rust and paint that bike a good solid black.  You might have to find the puncture in the tires but, whatever the problem is with the rubber, I can patch it.  Worst case, I would have to get new tires.  All I know is it is less than dignified, covering the handle bars and fender with all those flowers.  Flowers belong in the garden, in a flower bed or in a vase!  Ha! I'll be dipped in mud and covered with lemon peelings, if I don't sound like crabby Aunt Noreen!  Well, so what.  I still mean it!

***
Jack Patrick Dunnigan is a featured player throughout The Goodbye Lie series, but is all grown up in Amelia Island's Mark of a Man, where he shares his story with his younger sister, Marie. Often on the outs with family and folks for his unpredictable behavior, Pat's heart is kind if his actions often turn into trouble ...

No comments:

Post a Comment