June 18, 2012

Goodbye Lie Diaries - Marie Dunnigan

1880s
Fernandina, Florida

Marie writes:  We do not have any sort of holiday honoring our fathers or mothers in my time, Jane Marie, but we should.  It is a grand idea.  I have three things to share about my wonderful father, Michael Dunnigan. 

1. Since I am the youngest sibling of four in our family, I was the last one to ride in the chair swing he made for us that still hangs in our barn so we could play even when it rained. I think you mention it in The Goodbye Lie. Now Daddy's grandchildren take turns on it. 

2. Daddy didn't laugh at me like Pat and Micky and Warren Lowell did when I tried playing the violin.

3. Daddy saved a baby mouse from being eaten by our cat and he let me keep it!  Mama was not happy, but Peeper did not complain because it kept Aunt Noreen from visiting all summer until it escaped.  That kept her away until Thanksgiving!