June 17, 2012

What Are 3 Fun Things About Your Father?

I thought Father's Day had been officially around about as long as Mother's Day, which became a formal national day of celebration by President Woodrow Wilson in 1914.  Was I ever wrong.  Richard Nixon finally made Father's Day a permanent holiday in 1972!

I was thinking about my father and decided to list three memories I hadn't thought of in a long time.

1. Whenever his children were sick and stayed home from school, he'd present us with a small gift, like a comic book, in a brown paper bag. 

2. I played 45 records on my little record player in the attic on weekends and after school as, day after day, Daddy worked to  transform the huge room,  into a bedroom for his girls.

3. He made special tether ball paddles for the children to hit a small rubber ball because it hurt our hands to slap the big ball on the rope.  

Come up with your own memories and enjoy!

Leo Harkins, my father

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY
and
THANK YOU!