August 20, 2011

Sweet Expression

     I was settling my grandbaby, Ava, in bed one night.  She said, "Do Mommy Covers." 
     I proceeded to tuck the blanket down both sides of her body, shoulders to toes.  "No, Grammy.  Mommy Covers."
     "Well, what is that?"
       "You know, like this." She turned the top sheet over the blanket, pulling them both up to her chin.
     I fell in love with the term Mommy Covers.  It's sweet sounding, Ava invented the name, and I did this with her mother's covers, the same as my mother did with me.  I actually remember my mother, Marie, telling me the reason she turned the sheet back over the top edge of the blanket was to keep the blanket clean since sheets are usually changed much more frequently than the blanket.
     Anyway, Mommy Covers will be added to Ava's list of childhood expressions we will tell her little ones when she grows up.  :-) 


     P.S. Odds are this expression will find its way into my next novel, Mark of a Man...

No comments:

Post a Comment