August 14, 2013

Grammy Camp Sprinkles and Peeper

The last day of Grammy Camp, granddaughter Ava and I had a blast creating beautiful cupcakes. We made butter frosting.  If it was too thin, we added more powdered sugar.  "It's getting lumpy and dry, Grammy." So, we added more milk.   Because of the different consistencies of the icing,
 the result was better than what we expected!
The sprinkles were completely Ava's doing.  To quote her, 
 "Sprinkles are what make a cupcake a cupcake."
  Such deep wisdom at a young age, she gets it from me.





 
1880s
Fernandina on Amelia Island
 
Grandmother Peeper* writes: 
 
Missy Ava and Miss Jane,
   Them is some perty lookin' little cakes and theys so full a colors.  As ya most likely heard, I have a eye fer knowin' my colors.  Everybody but Aunt Noreena says so.  She's wouldn't know red from ruby ifn ya buried her in a bushel basket a apples. Makes me wanta bake some for the Dunnigans.  I'll best be ahidin' 'um  if there's any left after supper lest Noreena  brings her big self over here, as usual, and stuffs some in her pocketbook.
 
*Grandmother Peeper is a favorite character, and I do mean character, of readers of Amelia Island's Goodbye Lie Trilogy, available anywhere novels and ebooks are sold. For more info, go to our website at www.GraciousJaneMarie.com and refer to the top of the column on the right side of this blog. -jmm