October 29, 2013

Goodbye Lie Diaries - Jane Marie & Peeper

Fernandina on Amelia Island
Present Day

Jane Marie writes:  I recently heard a name and was reminded of a childhood neighbor. Let's call him Jakie.  He was a year younger than I and would cock his head to the right and squint when he was in the sun.  While that was all understandable, the thing I remember most about him was that he ate worms. I'm serious.  I think he did it to amuse little girls.  I was one of them. I have been accused by a sibling of enjoying a nibble or two of worm myself.  Said sibling was, is and forever will be WRONG.  Jakie ate them, not me!  You'd think I would remember such a revolting thing, wouldn't you?

As the years advanced, our daughter, Barbra, told us her first grade boyfriend, Randy Snort, liked to lick rocks.  If this is a generational thing, and we continue to be fascinated by such oddities, I wonder if granddaughter Ava's first boyfriend will chew his own toenails. It could happen.

*************                                                                                          
Fernandina on Amelia Island
1880s

Grandmother Peeper writes: That ain't nothin'.  I once knowed a fella we called Lucky Lucas who shined his boots with his own ear wax.  That's disgustin' but his shoes always looked most handsome.                                                                                 
                                                                             
                                                                      Grandmother Peeper


Through the magic of modern electronics, The Goodbye Lie Diaries feature comments on every day happenings between author Jane Marie Malcolm and the characters from her historical novels.  
                                                                                                                                   Grandmother Peeper