October 19, 2015

Chimney Pictorial + Velvet Undertow Excerpt

     Because I love Victorian era history, I took a course at our Amelia Island Museum of History to learn about the area.  That was many moons ago.  I never imagined I would complete three period novels set on this island and be working on a fourth in The Goodbye Lie series, as I am now. 

      I learned many things at the museum, one of which is to look up.  To that end, I discovered the beauty of chimneys!  Not such an odd thing, to my mind, anyway.  Statuesque and unbending, oh, what family secrets has the wafting smoke witnessed over time, only to share with the waiting stars by way of those chimneys ... 

Excerpt from Amelia Island's Velvet Undertow:

       Friends and volunteer firemen, townsfolk, and strangers stood about, not speaking. Their faces and bodies were dark with soot, like the dog. They were one with the surroundings. Only glowing wood and smoldering ash were left, save for five tall brick chimneys. Those towers rose like markers in an ebony graveyard designating the place where every ... possession lay burned or charred. 
A damaged chimney crowns a building Centre St. in downtown Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida. Note the bird nests on the left side roof line or was a seed blown high into the air to land and grow between the bricks?






 















INFO & TO PURCHASE Amelia Island's Velvet Undertow CLICK HERE