October 6, 2017

What Is It? - Goodbye Lie Diaries - Carolena








     What on earth, or off the earth for that matter, could this be?  An underwater scene from an animated horror movie?  Perhaps the landscape of a death star?  While you guess, read an entry in our Goodbye Lie Diaries from Carolena, the heroine from Amelia Island's Velvet Undertow, part of The Goodbye Lie series set in the late 1800s in north Florida in the tiny city of Fernandina.



Late 1880s
Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida
Carolena
     Carolena writes: For anyone who does not know, I am the interior designer for our family's Aqua Verde Passenger Line and Shipyards. Let me clarify.  I draw the plans and add the colors and materials and oversee the creation of our ships and private yachts.  Before discovering my affinity for this,  I feared my career choices were relegated to  teacher, nurse or shop girl. Since I love to draw, always have, I found myself suggesting the silks and brocades, the style of column and layout of cabins and staircases to the men working for our company.  To my happy surprise, they were more than willing to take my suggestions, appreciating my apparent eye for a vision of the finished product.  
     With regard to your picture, Jane Marie, I can only guess it comes from a dark mind, seeking hope, what with the lighter, welcoming shading on the upper left. Is this your imagining of what could be mysterious black ice cycles?  

Present time


Fernandina Beach on Amelia Island, Florida
     Jane Marie writes: Perhaps you are correct in thinking you might not be suited for teaching or nursing. Aren't we glad there are others who are.
     With my dark mind, I can see your black ice cycles, Carolena. (I am smiling.) I must say I have enjoyed the variety of comments I've received so far as to what this picture could be. And yes, this is my creation, but only because of a combination of nature and a program we have in our time to alter photographs.  It's generally referred to as photo shop. 


     So what was my original photograph?  It was a shadow of landscape against a white door.  I noticed this shadow, thought it was pretty in its simplicity and took a picture of it.  Then I applied the photo shop program to disguise it and try and fool folks. I can be a little minx, you know. 
     See the original shadow photo below.

No comments:

Post a Comment