June 10, 2014

Goodbye Lie Diaries- Peeper's Mosquito Repellent

Fernandina Beach, Florida
2014
 
Jane Marie writes: 
    Dear Peeper,
    We have this program in our time called Facebook where folks from all over the world can write to each other about whatever they want.  There was a post from my friend Sandy Price on there on how to make mosquito repellent.  You cut a lime in half then stick cloves all over the cut side. I thought of you and wondered if you had ever tried this.
 
Peeper
***************************
 
Fernandina, Florida
1880s
 
Peeper writes:
     I ain't never tried that one.  I'm athinkin' it will work, being so odoriferous. How ya like that word?  Another thing that works ta keep the skeeters away is garlic.  I mash it and set it on both ends a the picnic tables when we're all out of doors.  We eat garlic, too, and since them bugs don't like it none, they pretty much spread the word amongst theirselves that our Dunnigan family ain't so good ta chew on.
    I also make a potion a apple cider vinegar and herbs I've been agrowin' and adryin'.   My favorite ones is lavender and mint and sage.  Whatever smells strongest.  I fill a jar with cider and stir in lots a them dried leaves, all crushed up, and let it set for a month with the lid screwed down real tight.  Add some extree water at the end a that time and it's good ta rub on your arms and legs.  Put a dab behind each ear as well. Oh,  I always have a batch of this brewin' in the pantry, too.
  

(Peeper is a featured character in the Amelia Island Goodbye Lie Trilogy set in Fernandina on Amelia Island, Florida in the late 1880s.  She's never had an opinion she hasn't shared.  These Victorian novels are available at  Amazon - http://www.amazon.com/The-Goodbye-Jane-Marie-Malcolm/dp/0974918229/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1402457222&sr=8-2&keywords=goodbye+lie)