January 20, 2011

Making the MARK - BEGIN

I got to thinking about how many times readers ask me questions as to how I write, when, where I get my ideas, my research, etc. To that end, I have decided to include occasional blog updates as to the progress of Mark of a Man, my third historic novel, set in 1898 on Amelia Island, Florida. So, this is the way I write a novel, dear readers. I hope you find it interesting. 
I’m in the process of editing the finished story. That means, I’m reading the entire novel for the second of many times. As life interrupts me, as it should, and I have to shut down the computer for the day, I type BEGIN to indicate where  in the manuscript I am to resume the next day. That next day, I do Control F for Find as I look for BEGIN. Click, click, click , I scroll down until I find the spot I left off. What I’ve discovered is there are far too many uses of the words begin, beginning, begins. Therefore, I have to go back and change/reword all those dreaded RWs (repeated words). Time stealer, but oh so important!

Stay tuned …

No comments:

Post a Comment