March 31, 2014

ASK Jane Marie

Dear Jane Marie,
 
How is it possible that 19th century characters with no computers or smart phones are able to communicate and see your responses and photos posted in your Goodbye Lie Diaries?
 
Ruthie, Roswell, New Mexico
 
 
Dear Ruthie,
 

In The Goodbye Lie series, I hope the reader is transported into the surroundings, sorrows and sweet sentimentalities of the characters. I simply call it magic, magic of the mind …  In the same way, the players in my stories are able to reach through time to communicate with us and we with them.  I can’t tell you how this particular magic works, only that it does. Because of this, we can read their 19th century entries and thrill that they can see our entries, too.  Oh, I don’t know, do they awaken to find a note on the tiger oak secretary in the corner of their library? Perhaps it is discovered on the low parlor table beside the rocker.  Is it printed, in cursive or does it have a typed script?  How are their responses transmitted and posted to my blog?  I imagine they hand write their postings or do they send the replies by way of a telegram, but to what address exactly?  I haven’t gotten any hard copies of telegrams in my purple mailbox. Is it simply telepathic, yet telepathy is not so simple. You, of all people, Ruthie, living in the suspected land of aliens, I imagine can relate to this wonderful magic.  I don’t question it any longer, I just go along for the adventure between centuries!  I’m glad you’re on the excursion with us all!  
Hugs and blisses,
                                                                                                              Jane Marie