November 22, 2015

Pennsylvania Town

Living in Florida, it has been a while since I've seen the leaves turn.  On a visit to Dillsburg, a small town outside Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, I was lucky to do just that. 

We always like to visit an old church when we go out of town.  This time we found
St. John's Franklin Lutheran Church.
The friendly folks there told us it was built in 1847.  It is one of several Lutheran churches in the area because Germans settled there. Surrounding this church, and all over the area, are cemeteries.  With Pennsylvania being one of the original American colonies,  many of the graves date back to prior to our  independence from England in 1776. 

The congregation was collecting canned goods to share for Thanksgiving.  They shared their kindness, as well. A special thank you to Vicar Micki Kautz for being so welcoming.  Her sermon was interesting, fun and a blessing on all.



The people in Dillsburg  know each other and help each other and are as all-American as they come.  It is a place of charm.  Thank you  for being so kind.  Pull out the blankets and parkas and stay warm.  It's turning cold in that part of the country. But then you're the experts on how to deal with cold. 


The insane person who made our flight reservations, I will not admit we are related, had us flying out at 6 a.m.  That meant we had to rise at 4 a.m.  Perhaps my photos below of the Harrisburg airport floor might be better if I hadn't had those pesky toothpicks holding up my eyelids. Yes, they are painful, but they work. 

No, not Ben Franklin.  Where are his specs?  It's William Penn, the man for whom Pennsylvania is named.  Sylvania means woods, Penn's woods.

 
 I saw a road sign in Dillsburg reading: Gettysburg, 26 miles.  Sadly, we hadn't the time to play tourist.  I have been there as child, but would appreciate the significance of the history so much more as an adult.
 
Center of a huge  Harrisburg International Airport Seal


You're looking at the bottom of my worn out suitcase sitting atop our recycle bin.  The wheels collapsed and as I dragged it over the rough cement and through the hotels and airports, I expected to see a trail of my items, personal and un, behind me.  As our daughter, Barbra, commented, "Mom, have you noticed there is usually a bit of a  nightmare that goes along with your adventures?"  My reply, "Well, yes.  So long as it's just a bit." 

No comments:

Post a Comment