December 17, 2019

Gingersnaps Like Mom and Miss Ella Used to Make

Each year, Kathy Frazier, my friend and contributing baker to our blog, makes  these classically perfect
Gingersnap Cookies.  They have been in her family for years.  Thank you, Kathy, for sharing with us all! - JMM

You'll need:

1 1/2 cups Crisco
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup unsulphured molasses

Sift together:

4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons cloves
2 teaspoons ginger

     Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add molasses and dry ingredients. Use teaspoon, take up enough to make 1 inch balls. Roll lightly between hands, roll in sugar. Place on cookie sheet. Bake 15 to 18 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool on rack. Makes 7 - 8 dozen.

A couple of notes:
I sometimes use half butter Crisco and half plain Crisco to total the 1 1/2 cups of Crisco - seems to add a little 'depth' to the flavor. In addition, I used to grease the cookie sheets, but have found that it is not necessary - they seem to slide off just fine when done. As far as baking times, I wait until the tops "crack" and then bake another couple of minutes - more or less. It's really just a trial and error thing and also how you prefer the cookie to be. I generally get about 110 cookies out of this one recipe.

Enjoy!

Kathy
The Goodbye Lie Diaries:

Late 1800s
Fernandina, Florida

Miss Ella writes:  That recipe of yours is so similar to my gingersnaps, I may
Ella Dunnigan*
round up the ingredients and make a batch or two tomorrow.  With my bunch, they will be gone in short order.  Good thing I have my tin shamrock-shaped cookie jar.  They can't lift the lid without it making a little ding sound.  That helps me keep track of who is consuming how many.  Thank you, Miss Kathy, for reminding me about these delights.  


*Ella Dunnigan is the matriarch of the family in the historical romance Amelia Island Goodbye Lie series. She is responsible for the care and forever feeding of not only her family in north Florida, but the passengers on the Aqua Verde Passenger Line ships featured in the novels.  Set in the late 1800s, this series will lure your spirit back to a time where love becomes legend. E-books and paperbacks available here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment