December 17, 2015

Genius

Displayed in an office, this lovely tree reminds me of the ones we had at home when I was growing up.  Although it is artificial and doesn't have the big colored lights or the rotating color wheel shining up at it from the floor,  with the mismatched ornaments, it still says home, in part, because of the hanging tinsel. 
   
I remember that tinsel we used to have, which landed more on the floor than on the tree, and how my sister and I got into fights over the stuff.  She wanted it hung skinny strand by skinny strand, singularly. If I am honest, that is the way it should be hung.  It didn't matter to me.  Short of rolling a handful into a ball and pitching it toward the branches, I threw pinches of it at the tree.  Most of what the needles caught, lay in silver clumps, and only a few feet up from the bottom.  I was a short little kid, after all, so my aim wasn't great and my reach wasn't too high. 

Since you don't always see tinsel on a tree these days,  I was happy to discover it.  The thing is, it's not your mother's tinsel. This stuff is wider and longer and probably made of that mylar balloon-type stuff. I tried to take a photo of it for you. Look closely, below, to see that the tinsel doesn't come in single strands.  It is, instead, cut in strips and part of several layers of mylar.  You simply rip off what you want and the rest stays put, waiting for you next year, when you decorate.  Genius, I tell you.  Pure genius!   

tinsel just waiting to be ripped off and hung!

No comments:

Post a Comment